Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Taking it to the Streets: Part 2, Davy Crockett and Santa Clause support Ron Paul!

Today I went to visit my grandmother in the small town of Lizton. My little cousin was having her last softball game and I went to watch. Inspired by Dan and Chris, I made a poster board that I hung from my neck right before going to the softball game. With the paint still slightly wet and a doubled-up peice of nylon string around my neck, I went off into the world.

Now, you must understand, I am not one to do this. I don't crave attention. I am a recluse in public settings. This took a lot of courage for me to do this.

Everyone stared. Some gave me sidelong glances. Some looked at me with a confused look "President? Who's that?" Some giggled. My cousin said that her friends called me the "Weird Guy." I'm glad. I was noticed. People read the sign.

Mostly, I talked to my grandfather during the game. He pressed me about every issue (unfortunately, I didn't have fliers). Luckily, I was able to tell him with some confidence everything that Ron Paul stood for.

I also talked to another guy. He was from the other team's town. An old man with a big belly and a long white beard, he reminded me of Santa Clause. He talked to me about Ron Paul and he seemed very receptive to Dr. Paul's ideas and platform, even though he called all politicians "liars." I told him that I agreed with him but that Ron Paul isn't a politician, he's a representative of the people.

I went on to describe one of my favorite anecdotes about Ron Paul were Dr. Paul fought the Congress about Reagan's $30,000 gold medal. He smiled and told me a similar anecdote about Davy Crockett. So, I decided to do some research on it when I got home. Indeed, Crockett gave a famous speech to the Congress about how it was "unconstitutional" to be so charitable with taxpayers' money. Like Ron Paul, he supported the Congress paying for it out of their own pocket. Like today, none of them went for it. Source: [Wikipedia]

Also, I got someone that yelled out "Paul Wall." I don't know if that was an insult or just immaturity (sounded like it came from a high school kid). I just don't know what it means. Good thing I don't care much :) The best part about this is that I don't feel like its a burden, I feel like it is helping my people skills and I enjoy it! I will definitely be doing this in the future. Hopefully, I can hook up with one of the other Human Billboards.

1 comment:

bhougland said...

Paul Wall is a rapper/"Grill" maker for rap stars.

Lizton, IN?

BTW, my mom recently moved there...small world

Ron Paul 2008